Therapeutic Listening® is an evidence-backed protocol that combines a sound-based intervention with sensory integrative activities to create a comprehensive program that is effective for diverse populations with sensory challenges. Therapeutic Listening can impact sensory modulation, attention, behavior, postural organization, and speech and language difficulties. Trained therapists learn to use modulated CDs to set up programs for clients in homes, schools and clinics. Listening is a function of the entire brain; when we listen, we listen with the whole body.
The Listening Program’s psychoacoustically modified music and patent-pending production techniques are designed to stimulate, or “exercise” the different functions of the auditory processing system. This enables the brain to better receive, process, store and utilize the valuable information provided through the varied soundscapes in our lives such as music, language and the environment in which we live.
Masgutova Reflex Neuro-Sensory-Motor Reflex Inegration
The Masgutova Neuro-sensory-motor Reflex Integration - MNRI ™ Method is a set of programs focused on the restoration and maturation of primary movements, reflexes, coordination systems, and skills for optimal performance of natural mechanisms, developmental processes, brain functioning, and sensory-motor integration.
Sequential Oral Sensory (SOS) Approach to Feeding
The SOS (Sequential Oral Sensory) feeding program is an effective way to address problematic feeding behaviors in a variety of settings and populations. It focuses on increasing a child's comfort level by exploring and learning about the different properties of food, such as texture, taste, smell, and consistency. The SOS approach allows a child to interact with food in a playful, non-stressful way. The SOS approach follows a hierarchy of feeding, beginning with the ability to tolerate food in the room, in front of him/her, touching, kissing, and eventually tasting and eating foods. The SOS Approach to Feeding was designed and refined by Dr. Kay Toomey and her Feeding Teams over the past 15 years.
Is this child a candidate for referral? Yes-if any of the following are present:
- Ongoing poor weight gain (rate re: percentiles falling) or weight loss
- Ongoing choking, gagging or coughing during meals
- Ongoing problems with vomiting
- More than one incident of nasal reflux
- History of traumatic choking incident
- History of eating & breathing coordination problems, with ongoing respiratory issues
- Inability to transition to baby food purees by 10 months of age
- Inability to accept any table food solids by 12 months of age
- Inability to transition from breast/bottle to a cup by 16 months of age
- Has not weaned off baby foods by 16 months of age
- Aversion or avoidance of all foods in specific texture or food group
- Food range of less than 20 foods, especially if foods are being dropped over time with no new foods replacing those lost
- An infant who cries and/or arches at most meals
- Family is fighting about food and feeding (i.e. meals are battles) Parent repeatedly reports that the child is difficult for everyone to feed
- Parental history of an eating disorder, with a child not meeting weight goals
Beckman Oral Motor Therapy
Beckman Oral Motor Protocol uses assisted movement and stretch reflexes to quantify response to pressure and movement, range, strength, variety and control of movement for the lips cheeks, jaw, tongue and soft palate. It helps to increase oral awareness, oral motor control, tongue lateralization, and strength. It helps to decrease of gag reflex, drooling and improve structure of oral cavity for feeding.
Handwriting Without Tears®
Handwriting Without Tears® is a proven success in making legible and fluent handwriting an easy and automatic skill for all students. HWT uses fun, entertaining, and educationally sound instructional methods to teach handwriting to all students: pre-k through cursive. The well-planned lessons require minimal preparation time. Thousands of administrators, teachers, therapists, and parents across the country have successfully implemented the program. The result truly is handwriting without tears for all!